You Matter to Him – President Uchtdorf
Bowl of ice object lesson: Here is a bowl of ice. What is going to happen to the ice? How do you know?
We are less than we suppose
“The universe is so large, mysterious,
and glorious that it is incomprehensible
to the human mind.”
King Benjamin counseled his people to
“always retain in remembrance, the
greatness of God, and your own nothingness.”
vs. We are greater than we suppose
“But even though man is nothing, it fills me with wonder and awe to think that ‘the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.”
“the vast expanse of eternity, the glories and mysteries of infinite space and time are all built for the benefit of ordinary mortals like you and me.”
1. Why is it important for us to remember God’s greatness?
“Paradox of man: Compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are everything to God.”
2. How does Satan use the paradox of man?
a. He appeals to the extremes
i. Pridefull tendencies
ii. Self-importance
iii. Invincibility
iv. Discouragement
v. Insignificance
vi. We are forgotten
“Those who will ‘inherit the kingdom of God’ are those who become ‘as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love.’ ‘For every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.’ Such disciples understand also ‘that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.’”
3. How do we avoid falling into Satan’s deceits?
“God knows that some of the greatest souls who have ever lived are those who will never appear in the chronicles of history. They are the blessed, humble souls who emulate the Savior’s example and spend the days of their lives doing good. President Uchtdorf relates a story that exemplifies this principle.
· Husband worked at a steel mill in Utah and read scriptures or church magazines during lunch. Fellow co-workers would ridicule him. He spoke to them with kindness and confidence and didn’t get angry or upset. Years later one of the mockers became very ill and requested that this humble man speak at his funeral and he did. He died in an industrial accident while stopping to help another worker who was stranded in the snow.
· Within a year his widow underwent brain surgery that left her unable to walk or write. She memorized children’s and grandchildren’s phone numbers and remembers birthdays and anniversaries. People love spending time with her because she listens, remembers, and cares. They feel her love. She never complains but spends her days blessing the lives of others.
Presidend Uchtdorf said, “This couple would have been the first to say they were not of much importance in this world. But the Lord uses a scale very different from the world’s to weigh the worth of a soul. He knows this faithful couple; He loves them. Their actions are a living witness of their strong faith in Him.
You Matter to Him!
Even though when compared to the greatness of the universe we are nothing – we matter to Him. Sometimes we may feel insignificant, alone, forgotten, or invisible, but we need to remember that we matter to Him. If we ever doubt that, then we should consider these four divine principles that Pres. Uchtdorf has outlined for us.
1. “God loves the humble and meek, for they are the “greatest in the kingdom of heaven.””
a. President Hinckley said, in his book Way to Be!, “Be humble! Recognize that everything you have – your time, your talents and skills, your health and energy, your accomplishments, and your very lives – come as free gifts from your Father in Heaven. How grateful we ought to be for His goodness to us. How humble we ought to be to think that He knows who we are, and that He is waiting to guide our every step.” (pg 99)
2. The Lord entrusts “the fullness of [His] gospel [to] be proclaimed by the week and the simple unto the ends of the world.”
3. “No matter where you live, no matter how humble your circumstances, how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling in the Church may appear to you, you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father. He loves you. He knows your humble heart and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a lasting testimony of your fidelity and faith.”
4. What you see and experience now is not what forever will be.
We are not Forgotten
When Craig was born, Scott was deployed to Iraq, and I was in Germany. Luckily my mom was able to be there for the birth and two weeks after, but then she had to go back home. When I took her to the airport I just cried. And I cried all the way home and for a few days after I had moments where I felt so alone. There were so many emotions on top of the newborn exhaustion. I was at a real “low” point. During one of my many phone calls to my mom, she suggested I ask my home teachers for a blessing, so I did. It was such an amazing blessing! I don’t remember the words spoken, but I remember the feeling. I know that God loved me and that I really wasn’t alone. He had sent me a sweet amazing baby and He was there to help me through the tough times of being a temporary single parent. From that moment I knew that if I ever felt alone or discouraged again I just had to pray because I knew he was listening and would be there for me.
Does anyone have an experience they would like to share when they have felt God’s love?
Conclusion: Object lesson: As you already knew, this ice is melting. Just like you can know that God loves you. President Uchtdorf said, “the most powerful Being in the universe is the Father of your Spirit. He knows you. He loves you with a perfect love…He sees you as His child. He sees you as the being you are capable and designed to become. He wants you to know that you matter to Him.”
As simple as knowing ice will melt,
Is knowing God’s love can always be felt!
