Thursday, January 5, 2012

Study of the Book of Mormon Helps


January 8th is the start date of our Stake/Ward/Relief Society Challenge to read the Book of Mormon.  Since we are so close to the start of this reading challenge I thought I would share with you a few thoughts, with the permission of our R.S. President.



Many people have asked me how to STUDY the Scriptures.  There are as many ways to accomplish that as there are personalities I am sure.  But here are a couple ways that might help you find your scripture study personality.  When I was teaching seminary our instructor gave this advice and I found it to be most helpful.


Always...Always begin reading your Scriptures with prayer!!!!











#1 Idea for Scripture Study...

1. Read your chapter and look for the basic story line, write it down.
2. Read that same chapter and look for the doctrinal concept, i.e., say your prayers, don't criticize leadership, go to church etc...you get the idea...write those down.
3. Read that same chapter one last time and look for how does this pertain to my life and what should I gain and put into action in my life.

Now with that said...you may now be thinking I am too overwhelmed already...DON'T BE...maybe one morning you would read #1.  Then the next morning read and do #2.  Maybe you don't have time to read the whole chapter...read half the chapter and write down the beginning of the story line.  

You are an individual with individual needs.  Adjust to your needs...anything is better than nothing.  So often we feel like if we can't do it the way it is outlined then it is NOT possible for me.  Maybe just reading is all you have time for right now in your life.  Don't be discouraged, press forward, and enjoy the blessing that reading the scriptures brings into your life.

My sister shared this with me this last Sunday and I LOVED it and thought you too might enjoy the story and concept behind this style of Scripture Study.

#2 Idea for Scripture Study...

This concept was learned from my Sisters Gospel Doctrine Teacher and she shared this past Sunday in her class...

The Book of Mormon:  The Liahona of our Lives

“There is a power in the Book of Mormon which will begin to flow into your lives the minute you begin a serious study of the book.”  Ezra Taft Benson


1.     Pray
a.     Give thanks for its preservation and all it has taught you thus far.
b.     Confess your wrong doings and seek forgiveness.  You are about to walk on holy ground.
c.      Seek for guidance and understanding.
2.     Read
a.     Read for conviction and to receive the spirit, not just to cover a given number of pages.  (you may end up reading only one verse!)
b.     Stop every now and then and ask yourself, “Why did the Lord preserve this passage?”
3.     Ponder
a.     What meaning does this scripture have for me, my family, my calling, my job, my future plans, etc?
b.     What can I specifically do or what action can I take as a result of this revelation?
4.     Write it down
a.     Write down the insights you received.
b.     Write down your commitment to do that which you have been inspired.
c.      (I like to) Write down the important scriptures and highlight key words for future reference.  (I also like to cross-reference other scriptures on the same topic.)
5.     Pray
a.     Thank Heavenly Father for the inspiration received.
b.     Ask for guidance to fulfill your commitments.
c.      Thank Him again for the rare opportunity you have to own the Book of Mormon.
6.     Do it.


“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book.”  Joseph Smith

A story my sister shared about her lesson on Sunday...

"As Melony, our teacher, went thru this process with us she talked a little about expressing gratitude for the Book of Mormon and for  inspirations we receive.  I loved the story she shared about 2 of her sisters-in-law.  One of them, when she receives a gift, is just totally, sincerely, 'gushy'.  One year Melony gave her a towel set.. she was thrilled.  She oohed and ahed over the color, immediately put it up to her face and snuggled into it because it was so soft.  "I can hardly wait till I can use this!  I will feel just like a queen."  and on and on.  The other sister-in-law tends to open the gift, look at it briefly then ask if she kept the receipt so she can exchange it.  Melony asked.. So.. can you guess which one I like to give gifts to??    21) And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his  wrath  kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.
[D&C 59:21

I hope this will be of help to you sisters that you may find peace and joy as you begin your journey with the Book of Mormon in this New Year!